Bootstrap Framework 3.3.6

Over a dozen reusable components built to provide iconography, dropdowns, input groups, navigation, alerts, and much more...

Videos of Parasites & General Treatments & Dosages

Moderators: frankoi, Dixiedean

By Dixiedean Site Admin Site Admin Posts: 7690 
Hi,

PP can be used for a number of reasons, but is mainly used for nuking critters.

I would recommend using gloves when handling pp, as it is carcenogenic.

You will need an accurate pair of scales, a kettle and a bucket or jug.

Dosage for parasites is generally 1.5g per 220 gallons.

You MUST know your exact pond gallonage, overdosing can be fatal, underdosing is useless.

Do not use with Sturgeon.

PP reduces oxygen levels, so always ensure that the pond is well aerated.

Measure out the correct dosage for your pond and mix with about half a litre of boiling water. Most people then just stir it up and lob it into the pond, but you SHOULD let it gas off for about 10-15 minutes first. Half fill a watering can with pond water, add the pp mix and pour across the pond over a period of twenty minutes. Again, some peeps lob it straight it, but this hits the koi very quickly, it's like farting in a lift.

NEVER start treating the pond at night or when you cannot tend the pond. The pp should stay purple for about 4 hours and NO LONGER. If it goes over 4 hours then neutralise it with Hydrogen Peroxide. The pp will zap the organics in the pond, so if your pond has, for example, blanketweed, then it may turn brown after a couple of hours. If this is the case, add another 0.5g per 220 gallons and bring it back to purple.

Do not maintain the purple water colour for more than 4 hours!!!!!!

Some hobbyists use pp as a maintenance tool. Dosage for this is 0.5g per 220 gallons, on a monthly basis.

PP Baths -------- If anyone would like these procedures explained, please send me a pm.

Dean
Hiya,

Indeed yes, this has surfaced quite recently. Sodium Thiosulphate is, essentially, dechlorinator, but you can buy it in sacks. It can kill your filter bacteria, whereas HP won't.

A personal choice, but I would still use HP, cos at those doses it is negligible, whilst doing the job.

Best

Dean
By RichardB Knickerbocker Glory Knickerbocker Glory Posts: 654 
Hi peeps,
PP & HP are a powerful oxidising agent that don't care what they oxidise.
I prefer not to use too much PP in the first place, so add 2/3 recommended dose and top up if necessary to keep the colour.
Never had to treat an excess. :angelic-blueglow:
Hi,

Contrary to popular belief, pp will not entirely kill your filters, although it may give them a bad headache. This is especially true with " clean" media, such as K1. After pp,ing, the bugs multiply 8 times faster than before dosing, IF you leave the brown residue and do not neutralise it. I will dig out the scientific papers on this if anyone is interested.

So if you have K1 as your media, and you are struggling with parameters, a mild dose of pp will help.

I absolutely agree with Mr. Sanke's points, but the aim of the original post is to share the standard protocol. The last thing we want is for someone to dose with pp and not have a neutraliser on standby should owt go wrong. It then comes down to personal choice as to what you use.

Keep debating, it's healthy!

Best

Dean
Hi Jane,

At present, I cannot. :doh:

I was speaking with a bacteriologist recently who has been researching into the effects of various substances that hobbyists put in their ponds, and had evidence that ST cankill nitrification bacteria. Why or how at this stage I do not know, as there are soooo many extenuating circumstances. Once the study has been finalised I will post a more detailed response.

Perhaps at this stage I was wrong to post such a definitive statement, without scientific proof, per se.

Best

Dean
By Miacat Knickerbocker Glory Knickerbocker Glory Posts: 639 
We cant win can we??
HP is apparently really bad to use if you have overdosed the PP, now it seems so to is ST.
This I find really strange as it is used by many and recommended by many to add to your pond to dechlorinate incoming tap water.
So is this new theory that it affects filter bacteria only applicable following PP or is it bad to add routinely as a dechlorinator?
Which is worse adding ST on a new pond system to dechlorinate or adding tap water that also affects the newly establishing filter bugs???? Lets face it most carbon purifiers don't really do the job unless you are just trickling in a tiny constant amount and I know many people who have stopped bothering with them for that reason and just trickle tap water in.
Must say I try to let the pond sort itself out after PP, takes a few days but gets there. We have used HP in the past and will always keep that or ST on hand in case the koi react badly to the PP though & again if you have overdone the PP a bit and need to use a neutralser then you have probably upset the filter bugs anyway.
Any way I digress so perhaps this needs moving to a different thread all about ST perhaps?
Jane
By Waddo Dobos Torte Dobos Torte Posts: 1598 
I treated today with pp had to add more after 1 1/2 hrs as it was going brown added more pp at correct dosage but it turned brown 3 hrs after the 1st first treatment didn't add anymore and neutralised with hp have I treated for long enough?? I'm treating for flukes tomorrow, don't think I have any other bugs in pond but what bugs does pp get rid of
Cheers
John
By frankoi Moderator Moderator Posts: 1944 
Yes John I think 3 hours is long enough. I recently dosed mine which lasted 4 hours plus this time, I have in the past neutralised it with HP but not this time ( I had some just in case ) It took 3 days to get back to gin clear.
Thanks again Frank going to fluke m tomorrow so they should be going into winter clear
Thanks for getting back so quick with advise
John
Hi Frank,
Yes did them Saturday doing them again on Wednesday just in case I missed any in the gills that should put them clear for winter they have stopped flashing so hopefully that's got rid of them for now
John
By Sopersonic74 Croquembouche Croquembouche Posts: 6585 
Dixiedean wrote:Hi Jane,

At present, I cannot. :doh:

I was speaking with a bacteriologist recently who has been researching into the effects of various substances that hobbyists put in their ponds, and had evidence that ST cankill nitrification bacteria. Why or how at this stage I do not know, as there are soooo many extenuating circumstances. Once the study has been finalised I will post a more detailed response.

Perhaps at this stage I was wrong to post such a definitive statement, without scientific proof, per se.

Best

Dean

Hi Deano, did anything ever get published on the above? :mrgreen:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]